I’m in the process of writing a dystopian and I’ve been through many of them from over the years. There are some things I feel the reader wants, please give me suggestions if you can think of something else. I came up with the following:
1. A world that has been ravaged by war etc.
2. The survivors are divided into good guys and bad guys.(duh)
3. Good guys are oppressed by the powerful bad guys.(duh duh)
4. An unwilling hero/heroine.
5. A love triangle.
6. Plenty of rebellion.
7. Betrayal by a trusted person.
8. Ultimate but hard-won victory. But maybe with the unexpected death of a main character.
I am adding race into this,because I haven’t read any of these so far as I can remember.
Part of the world will be developed and modernized, while another part (across the ocean) will have been devastated by wars and uprisings. The people living here however will be the ones who believe in freedom, and they choose to stay here rather than have to live under dictators. I got some ideas for places to use as settings from a great blog: http://theurgetowander.com/
What do you think of these?
Having underground tunnels is a good way to avoid getting noticed by the “Bad Guys”
A place like this could be where the “Good Guys” live.
The modern and developed area where the “Bad Guys” live and enjoy the luxuries of life. (This image I got from Google Images)