1. Wake up late.
2. Make lavish paratha breakfast.
3. Waste time on Facebook posting opinionated rants. (Desi people know more politics than is good for them.)
4. Argue with anyone who doesn’t agree with you.
5. Yell at kids to stop fighting because you are concentrating on keeping your post understandable and your thumbs are not cooperating.
6. Get more frustrated as the person you are arguing with hit send before you. Yell some more at the kids because it is their fault.
7. Glance at the clock and curse. You managed to waste four hours arguing about something that no one actually cares about.
8. Curse the breakfast dishes for not washing themselves.
9. Panic about what to cook. Lunch time was two hours ago.
I have a great recipe for you, you’re welcome.
1/2 kg boneless chicken
3/4 cup cooking oil
1 tsp fresh ground garlic
1 tsp fresh ground ginger
4 small to medium-sized tomatoes
2 finely sliced onions
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric (haldi)
1 tsp coriander powder (danya)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp crushed cumin (zeera)
1/4 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (methi)
1/2 cup yogurt
1/2 to 1 cup cream ( I used 10%)
Fresh cilantro, green peppers and finely sliced ginger to garnish. ( You can find all the exotic stuff at your local Indian store.)
What to do:
1. Heat your oil in a pot and add in onions. Brown them. (Medium heat)
2. Blanch your tomatoes. Peel them.
3. Add the garlic and ginger once your onions are golden. Stir around, add the spices just as the garlic starts to turn golden. Stir and add the chicken.
4. Cook well till chicken turns all white. Add the yogurt and half the cream.
5. Add the tomatoes. I didn’t blend them, I just crushed them with my fist because it seemed like fun. It was.
6. Add the fenugreek and lower the heat and let the whole thing simmer. Add the last of the cream when the chicken is cooked (about 25 minutes later). Cook for about 5 more minutes.
7. Garnish with green peppers, ginger slices and chopped cilantro. Serve with tandoori nan. Or rice. Or even couscous.